With the Rule 5 draft approaching during the Winter Meetings, the deadline for teams to add players to their 40-man roster has come and gone. Players added to their team's 40-man roster are safe from being taken in the Rule 5 Draft.
Other players safe from the Rule 5 draft include any players signed at age 19 or older (who are protected for three years and players drafted or signed at age 18 or younger, who are protected for four years.
Here is a list of 40-man roster additions for National League teams this off-season, who now can not be taken in the Rule 5 Draft:
New York Mets
- Mike Carp (1B)
- Joel Naughton (C), Sergio Escalona (P), John Mayberry Jr. (OF), Carlos Carrasco (P) and Drew Naylor (P)
St. Louis Cardinals
- Neil Walker (3B), Steve Lerud (C), Jose Tabata (OF), Ronald Uviedo (P), Jeff Sues (P), and Evan Meek (P)
Los Angeles Dodgers
- Brent Leach (P), Victor Garate (P), Travis Schlichting (P), Jesus Castillo (P), and Jaime Hoffman (OF)
San Francisco Giants
- Pedro Ciriaco (SS), Jose Marte (P), Kyler Newby (P), Cesar Valdez (P), Leyson Septimo (P) and Clay Zavada (P).
- Eric Young Jr. (2B), Ryan Mattheus (P), Samuel Deduno (P), Shane Lindsay (P), Hector Gomez (SS) and Chris Nelson (SS)
San Diego Padres